As a community partnership of students, staff and families, our mission is to maximize student growth and learning for life, while encouraging a positive school climate fostering respect, responsibility and caring for all. At RVE
, we R
espect and V
There is a direct link between proficiency in reading literacy and high school graduation and postsecondary participation (Stats Canada, 2004) so our school makes success in literacy our primary goal.
Rose Valley Elementary's goal is to decrease the vulnerability of our students by ensuring that they leave our elementary program with the communication and literacy skills they will need to succeed not only in middle school and high school but in life.
To accomplish our goal, teachers…
- Take the time to do a file review of every student in their class at the start of the year and discuss learning needs of their students with the previous year's teacher.
- Create a Class Profile after two weeks with their students that helps them to focus on the needs of the students in their class.
- Administer reading assessments with students during the first month of school in order to ensure that they know their strengths and weaknesses.
- Place students in the RTI framework (Response to Intervention) so that the needed level of support can be ensured.
- Engage in a Class Profile meeting early in each term with the school CMOS (Collaborative Model of Support) team (Principal, Learning Assistance Teacher (LAT), Literacy Support Teacher (LST), Teacher Librarian (TL) in order to schedule and set up the supports necessary to meet each student's needs.
- Did a book study of RTI From All Sides by Dr. Mary Howard.
- Engaged in an in-service with Dr. Mary Howard, author of RTI From All Sides.
- Collaborate with their teaching partners on a biweekly basis in order to collaboratively solve problems of teaching and learning.
- Co-plan and co-teach lessons and units with members of the CMOS team in order to differentiate instruction to meet individual student needs.
- Meet as a School Based Team (Principal, LAT, Counsellor, Speech Language Pathologist, and Resource Teacher) on a weekly basis to collaboratively address issues with vulnerable students.
- Meet as a CMOS team on a weekly basis in order to reflect on the RTI progress.
- Provide a before school reading intervention program.
- Provide an after school homework program.